The City of Santa Rosa's City Manager's Office seeks an experienced communications manager with knowledge of state and federal legislation and the ability to facilitate positive public relations. As a new position reporting to the City Manager, this is an excellent opportunity to join City management and be part of a dynamic and professional team. In addition to offering a great work team and excellent salary, the City of Santa Rosa provides a generous benefits package, including retirement through CalPERS, a competitive leave package, a choice of three health plans, flexible spending program, employer contributions to Retiree Health Savings plan, and top of the line, employer paid vision and dental coverage. See the recruitment brochure HERE.
The greatest challenge currently facing the City and the surrounding region is recovery from the unprecedented October 2017 fire disaster in which several businesses and 5% of the City's housing stock were destroyed. In addition, the City is also seeking to reduce existing homelessness through a comprehensive strategy, "Housing for All", which includes implementing a Housing Action Plan, Rental Housing Inspection, and Rent Stabilization. The City is also pursuing opportunities and preparing for impacts related to medical and legalized cannabis; and implementing commitments associated with Roseland annexation.
The Communications and Intergovernmental Relations Officer will play an integral role in developing and overseeing public information and intergovernmental affairs and legislative advocacy programs. Responsibilities include:
• Establishing and implementing a strategic, comprehensive Citywide communications and public information program
• Preparing communications using various platforms for City staff, the public, and news media
• Providing functional oversight of Marketing and Outreach Coordinators embedded in departments, to bring consistency to the City's external and internal communication strategies and activities
• Helping to coordinate the City's communications during emergency and nonemergency situations
• Monitoring legislative activities and initiatives, and reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating the impact to the City; advising City staff and Council on public policy and legislative issues
• Developing and implementing outreach efforts to State legislators to advocate for the City's legislative interests
The Ideal Candidate and Qualifications
• The ideal candidate will be experienced in managing initiatives and overseeing public relations information programs for the public sector and be able to aptly maneuver through an array of demanding issues. He or she will also possess:
• Expertise in formulating and implementing best practices for branding, marketing, communication, public information, and community and media relations in a government environment
• The ability to develop and implement sound communications and public relations strategies and deliverables
• Exceptional skill and good judgment in the analysis of proposed/new legislation and policies relating to local government
• Demonstrated skill in working through obstacles, and formulating creative recommendations and strategies with far-reaching impacts
• A demonstrated track record of garnering immediate credibility and public trust with a large cross-section of stakeholders
• Genuine appreciation for diversity of ideas and sensitivity for cultural differences and customs
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present persuasive arguments before a variety of audiences
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams
For more examples of duties and responsibilities of the position, and knowledge, skills and abilities required, see the full job description by visiting our website.
Minimum Qualifications include four years of progressively responsible, recent experience in the field of public information, communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, public policy, legislative affairs and analysis, community outreach, public administration or similar field to demonstrate possession of the knowledge and abilities required for the position and equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in communications, public relations, public administration, marketing or a related field. A Master's degree is desirable.
Located just 55 miles north of San Francisco, Santa Rosa is a vibrant city overflowing with all there is to love about California. Santa Rosa, the county seat of Sonoma County is where the wine country, farm country, redwood forests, rivers, lakes and the Pacific Ocean all come together in a beautiful setting with exceptional weather. In the center is a charming, thriving downtown lined with intriguing shops and award-winning restaurants. Santa Rosa is one of California's premier wine growing regions and the gateway to tourist destinations in the redwoods and on the coast. Santa Rosa is the 5th largest city in the northern bay area, serving a population of about 170,000 residents. The City of Santa Rosa's residents work in a well-balanced mix of management, professional, manufacturing, sales, tourism, transportation, construction, and service jobs. The City also plays an important role in supporting the agriculture and tourism industries of California's North Coast. Santa Rosa boasts world-class events, such as IRONMAN SANTA ROSA, and offers internationally recognized restaurants and breweries.
To apply, a City application reflecting a work history of at least the last 10 years and a completed supplemental questionnaire, must be submitted online. Inclusion of a resume and statement of interest is encouraged, but they will not be accepted in place of a City application or responses to supplemental questions. If you have questions, please contact Jami Ross, Human Resources Analyst at (707) 543-3066, TDD (707) 543-3063.
All applications and supplemental questionnaires will be carefully reviewed. Candidates identified as best meeting the needs of the organization will be invited to interviews tentatively scheduled for the week of December 11, 2017.