Company Name: Safe Passage Project
The Staff Attorney will be joining a small group of dedicated public interest attorneys. The Staff Attorney will mentor pro bono attorneys in providing legal representation in immigration and other related proceedings, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, and other forms of immigration relief. Additionally, the Staff Attorney will maintain a small direct caseload. The Staff Attorney will be part of Safe Passage Project’s New York City team. The position is full-time and is eligible for Safe Passage Project’s benefits.
• Supervise and mentor pro bono attorneys with Safe Passage Project;
• Screen immigrant children and assist in the Organization and Management of Safe Passage Project’s legal screenings;
• Provide some direct representation of Safe Passage Project clients;
• Provide detailed and regular reporting statistics on each mentored and direct case.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar required;
• At least two (2) years of relevant family or immigration law experience;
• Experience as a litigator is a plus;
• Fluency in Spanish is required;
• Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational and time management skills;
• Experience working with diverse communities (preferred);
• Experience working with children (preferred).
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high intensity environment;
• Must be ready to grow and learn with the Safe Passage Project team.
Salary: $60,000 + depending on experience.
GENERAL INFORMATION: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
Safe Passage Project is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All interested applicants must email a cover letter, resume, and three references. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Please use the subject line “Staff Attorney” in your email.