Company Name: DSM
Patent Paralegal (Formalities Officer) – Columbia, MD
OUR COMPANY Intellectual Property Department is seeking an experienced Patent Paralegal (Formalities Officer) to support several patent attorneys located at its site in Columbia, MD.
The Patent Paralegal (Formalities Officer) works across multiple global teams with Patent Attorneys to provide effective proactive administrative management of OUR COMPANY IP rights. This includes obtaining and securing these rights and preventing the loss of any of such rights. Patent Paralegals are expected to show independent judgement with respect to their key areas which can include participation in project teams, mentoring colleagues, being a key user for specific topics and have an interest in developing, improving, and implementing work processes to for example adapt to changes in national Patent laws.
Some of the responsibilities of the role:
• Prepare all relevant documents necessary for filing a patent, design or utility model and make sure these documents are filed within the legal time limits of the different countries at the appropriate institutes and foreign agents plus all related correspondence.
• Preparation of letters, emails, notifications etc. based on legal requirements, notifications from external parties or from attorneys.
• Bring deadlines and actions to be taken to the attention of the attorney.
• Ensure timely payment of all official and agent fees.
• Administrative support / Docketing
• Report generation (from the administrative system)
• Active contribution to improve processes by participating in projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in business management or paralegal studies preferred; paralegal certificate, desired
• Must have at least 2 years of patent docketing and or prosecution administration experience;
• General knowledge of Intellectual Property filing and prosecution rules/regulations
• Competent in US Patent Formalities (Including USPTO formalities)
• Competent in Global Patent Formalities (WIPO, EPO, dealing with Agents)
• Experience with sequence listings, strongly preferred
• Able to manage complex administrative procedures within a continuously changing environment
• Good communicator also using video calling to connect to colleagues (Attorneys, Formalities officers, Inventors) located in USA, The Netherlands, Switzerland & China
• Competent user of Patent Administration Software (e.g. CPA, Memotech, First to File)
• Knowledge redepositing microorganism information is preferred.
• Attention to detail
Working for OUR COMPANY means the opportunity to really contribute to improve people’s lives and solving the challenges of today’s world. Challenging jobs, career opportunities and an inspiring environment allow you to enhance your personal development. OUR COMPANY recognizes that the on-going success of the company depends on the continued development and engagement of our employees and pursues a fair and competitive remuneration policy, recognizing individual and team competencies and performance.
Procedure & Contact
Interested in this position? Please apply on-line by sending us your resume and cover letter via the career portal.
Reference check procedures are part of the OUR COMPANY Recruitment & Selection Process. You will be contacted when these references checks are required.
Royal OUR COMPANY is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.