Why Drive for WM?
STABILITY. GREAT PAY. ADVANCEMENT.
Shift Schedule: Shifts available starting at 4am, 5am, 6am (10 to12-hour days)
Experience Level: All levels of experience
Industry Leading Benefits ¦Home Every Day ¦Stability ¦Additional Perks
Join us and, together, we’ll work proud for our communities.
Hiring today, for tomorrow.
Click here?to take a glimpse into the day-to-day of a WM Driver
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Join our Waste Management team, the industry leader since 1971. With over 41,000 proud employees, Waste Management has the largest trucking fleet in the waste industry - over 18,000 trucks, and leads in CNG advancement with the largest fleet of class 8 Natural Gas Vehicles in North America. We offer opportunities in 48 states, the District of Columbia, and Canada.
When you drive for Waste Management, you join a team of the best drivers in the nation - professional, well trained, and skilled. Our drivers work hard and drive safe. They know they are valued front-line team members who are the key in making Waste Management number one in the industry. They are rewarded with competitive pay, great benefits, opportunity for growth, and they are home at night and on the weekends.
I. Job Summary
Swing Drivers substitute for the drivers of open routes, supporting drivers to complete routes, and provides other operational support as directed by the Route Manager, which may include training of new drivers, or participating in routing projects. Drivers operate heavy-duty trucks with front or rear end load lift attachment providing the pick up service of containers filled with waste or recyclable material. Containers may weigh in excess of 1000 pounds and at times require drivers to maneuver wheeled containers to a pick up stage area. Driver will transport the material to a disposal, transfer or recycle facility when trucks reach legal load capacity.
Driver navigates high traffic and congested roadways, driveways, alleyways, and lots. Highly skilled backing maneuvers are essential too successfully perform this job.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following tasks.
• Operates vehicle in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, OSHA (Occupational and Safety Health Act) and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
• Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks utilizing the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report). .
• Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
• Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required by Waste Management or directed by the Route Manager.
• Works closely with Route Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
• Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injuries, or property damage.
• Notifies Route Manager or Dispatch of service interruptions, including blocked containers, closed lots, streets, alleyways or potential safety hazards.
• Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager.
• Identifies and reports all containers in need of repair or replacement.
• Ensures the number of containers on the route reconciles to the service level listed on service list.
• Completely dumps all containers and leaves the customer’s location clean and free of debris.
• Completes and submits customer tickets as required when excessive yardage must be removed.
• Positions and returns containers on the customer’s property in a manner that ensures lids are properly replaced. enclosure doors are closed and secured, and containers do not block driveway entrances or traffic.
• Follows route assignments as directed and completes end of day documentation and check out process.
• Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assisting other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
• None required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
• Education: Not required.
• Experience: 2 year of relevant work experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or equivalent military driving.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
• Hold a current Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License with an air-brake endorsement
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Legally eligible to work in the United States.
• Successfully complete and pass pre-employment DOT drug screen and DOT physical.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
• Acceptable driving record required.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding the physical requirements, and work environment of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger, and leg dexterity.
• Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than __ pounds frequently.
• Requires pushing, pulling, bending, twisting and lifting up to __ lbs. and pushing or pulling up to __ pounds on wheels throughout the work shift.
• Normal setting for this job is outdoors and/or driving a video/GPS monitored vehicle.
• Will be exposed to a physical environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases be greater or lesser than documented here.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Please apply now on the site below, or call 877.220.5627, to speak with a Waste Management recruiter today
Equal Opportunity Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran